Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Tomato Cucumber Salad

When I was in college, I used to watch Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals all the time.  I have a few of her cookbooks, and this Tomato Cucumber Salad is one of my favorite summer side dishes.  I know it's January, but it's my blog, and I'll post a summer recipe if I want to!  (also-- no one says that you can't have this all year round anyway!)  This one is from Rachael's Express Lane Meals book.

Ingredients:

1 Shallot, finely chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced into half moons
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
3 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

1. In a shallow bowl, combine shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper
2. In a steady stream, whisk in the olive oil
3. add the grape tomatoes.  Mash some of them with a fork so the juices become part of the dressing
4. add cucumbers and toss to combine

For a variation, you may want to try this Indian version.  I had lunch at an Indian buffet today, and one of the employees was sitting by the bar, making these fresh to order.

The tomatoes and cucumbers were cut into cubes.  He tossed them with cilantro, onion chutneyraitatamarind sauce and mint chutney.  He topped the mixture with what looked like pieces of papadums, followed by more raita, and a swirl of tamarind sauce.  It was very refreshing, and a nice addition to my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment